Monday, June 10, 2013

Recent Jeffers Projects

     I have been working with the Jeffers Foundation for over seven years and have spent the last several years on their Board of Directors. My assignments take me all over the state to view projects that we support. May was a busy month, so here are a few photos of projects that I was involved with. 

Counting bird species on a rainy morning at the McColl Pond Environmental Learning Center. Jeffers Foundation provided $500,000 toward the establishment of the Center.

School garden at Seward Montessori. My cameras are often a hit with students who often want to see what I see. Most often asked question: "Will I be on TV" My most common response: "Even better, you'll be on the internet."

These boys found the E3 'Mule deer' target by using math and compass bearings only. They were very proud of their accomplishment and wanted me to take their picture.


Young environmental scientists testing water quality at McColl Pond in Savage, MN.


Clara Barton School students start a garden on a barren piece of trampled ground that was once grass. They have already arranged for the restaurant across the street to buy the herbs and other produce.
'Pie Chart Garden' shows the results of a survey of the student body's favorite flowers.  A perfect blend of academic learning and real-world, hands-on application using math to calculate areas, number of plants required, cost, etc. Brooklyn Park.

We have a presence at many health and environmental expos. Left: A girl returns my zip-line trolley at Wild Wings Youth Expo. Our booth is in the tent.
Right: The Dadster at Phalen Water Fest last week. We pass out free ring-fliers with the FamiliesOutdoors.org logo.

1 comment:

  1. After I read your posts about all the plans the Jeffers foundation creates, I always feel less happy about our school system :( I have to say, it wasn't that great to begin with.

    ReplyDelete